Communicating sustainability solutions
Outreach is central to Sustainable Canada Dialogues. Apart from the use of traditional and social media, we are engaging outside of our universities in two ways: sharing the knowledge synthesized by experts; and becoming an actor in the important debate on Canada's future development.
Full list of SCD publications available here.
- *NEW* Sustainable Canada Dialogues scholars submitted a response to the 2016-2019 Federal Sustainable Development Strategy.
- Sustainable Canada Dialogues scholars in Quebec submitted a brief to the Bureau d'audiences publiques sur l'environnement about the Energy East Project. The scholars oppose the project due to the major risks to the environment, health and sustainable development it represents in the context of climate change.
- Sustainable Canada Dialogues scholars wrote an open letter to the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, the Premiers of the Provinces, Indigenous Leaders and the People of Canada, in advance of the First Ministers' Meeting to discuss a climate action plan on March 3, 2016. The scholars call for a plan that limits investment in pipelines and oil extraction and invests instead in clean technologies.
- Sustainable Canada Dialogues scholars penned an open letter to the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, with recommendations for Canada's way forward to the Paris 2015 Climate Conference.
- The scholars also wrote to the Premiers in advance of the Premiers' Summit on Climate Change in Quebec in April 2015.
- In April 2015, the Ontario-based scholars also wrote to Premier Kathleen Wynne of Ontario, in response to the province's introduction of carbon pricing.
2) A Closer Look: Documents we used to build Re-Energizing Canada: Pathways to a Low-Carbon Future [COMING SOON]
3) e-DIALOGUES: THE CLIMATE IMPERATIVE SERIES
The Climate Imperative e-Dialogues series brings together Sustainable Canada Dialogues scholars to delve deeper into the solutions for moving toward a low-carbon economy. We have tackled four critical questions; read the full transcripts of our scholars' e-Dialogues below:
Published March 2015
"Canada is on the cusp of embracing and implementing sustainability, and this issue is our map to getting there. In the most important issue that A\J has published in our 44-year history, we team up with leading Canadian scholars to chart our country’s path toward a sustainable future. This special issue of A\J is a collaboration with Sustainable Canada Dialogues/Dialogues pour un Canada vert (SCD), a group of over 60 scholars who have identified sustainable solutions in each of their specialized fields."
Sustainable Canada Dialogues examined each of the party platforms from the point of view of the 10 key policy orientations we proposed last spring in our consensus paper, Acting on Climate Change: Solutions from Canadian Scholars.
This analysis is a “snapshot in time.” It is based solely on information publically available on each of the official party websites, including news and backgrounders, up to October 5th, 2015. It shows which of our climate policy orientations or actions have already caught the parties' attention and identify others still needing advocacy. We acknowledge that parties may present valuable measures that fell outside the scope of this exercise.
Click the links below to view the assessment, and its associated op-ed and background sources.
6) OTHER CLIMATE ACTION PLANS
Artist Marie-Louise Gay created this piece of artwork for the Sustainable Canada Dialogues to illustrate the future within our reach if we act on climate change.